Enter your keyword

Summary of Castles in Ghana

THE CASTLES OF GHANA

Throughout history, slavery has been a recurring theme and all over Ghana, vestiges of the trade made remain for all to discover relics, historic sites, national monuments and of course, our castles. Today, some of our castles have a variety of uses while some are in ruins. However, most are open to the public.

LOCATION NAME OF FORT NOTES
Ankobra Fort Eliza Carthago Built by the Dutch in 1720; only traces of ruin are available
Axim Fort St. Anthonio Portuguese trading post. Destroyed by the locals in 1514. Second fort built by the Portuguese on present site in 1515.
Beyin Fort Apollonia Dutch Lodge built in 1660, British fort built in 1768. Reconstructed between 1962 and 1968.
Princetown Goot Friedrichsburge of Fort Hollandia Danish Lodge built in 1658, fort built in 1683 by Bradenburgers.
Takrama Fort Sophie Louise Lodge built by Braden burgers in 1684, English Fort and 1691; presently only foundations are visible.
Akwida Fort Dorothea Built by Braden burgers 1684; presently in ruins
Dixcove Fort Metal Cross Built in 1764, restored in 1954-66
Butri Fort Bantensteyn Dutch fort built in 1598
Sekondi Fort Orange Built by Dutch in 1688
Shama Fort St. Sebastian Built as Dutch lodge in 1526, Portuguese fort built in 1590
Komenda Fort  Vredenburg English trading post, Dutch, 1688
Elmina Fort St. Jorge (Conraadsburg) Chapel built between 1555 and 1558 by the Portuguese. Turned into a lodge and watchtower by the Dutch in 1638.
Cape Coast Cape Coast Castle Built as a lodge by the Dutch in 1630 on an abandoned lodge built earlier by the Portuguese. Extensively rebuilt before 1757-1780. Presently it is the Cape Coast Castle Museum
Anomabu Fort William Built by the Dutch 1673, restored 1954
 

Accra

Fort Crevecoer (Ussher fort) Dutch post in 1643
Christianborg castle Christianborg Castle also known as Osu castle, is located in Osu, Accra on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean’s Gulf of Guinea. The first substantial fort was built by Denmark-Norway in the 1660s, the castle subsequently changed hands from Denmark-Norway; Portugal, the Akwamu, Britain and finally to post independence Ghana. It has been renovated many times. For most of the castle’s history, it has been the seat of Government of the Gold Coast and present day Ghana. In January 2009, the seat of Government was moved from the Christianborg Castle to the Flagstaff House, a new Presidential Office Complex